Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Irish Food Day


Here's hoping your St. Patrick's day has been green and pinch-free. And if you weren't able to enjoy a special meal, you can join us virtually for Colcannon and Irish Soda Bread. There's plenty to go around.


We actually eat colcannon regularly but this was Rachel's first attempt at Irish Soda Bread. It was excellent - nothing like the dry crumbly biscuit that I made on my first attempt!

For those not in the know, colcannon is made with mashed potatoes, bacon, and cabbage sautéed in said bacon drippings. Onions can also be sautéed with the cabbage but we leave them out. Mix it all together and season with salt/pepper, then pour melted butter on top. When you serve it, feel free to add more pepper (the photo is pre-pepper).

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, does that sound yummy, though not suitable for a calorie counter, perhaps:) Sounds like you had an appropriate Irish meal. Bread looks beautiful, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some Irish Soda Bread too and forgot to document, but it looked somewhat similar to yours, although I cheated and put raisins in ours. I'm pretty sure it wasn't truly authentic, but I was willing to trade authentic for delicious after reading reviews of several recipes. Colcannon on the other hand sounds authentic and delicious. I wonder if I can trick James into eating cabbage...I'm guessing yes. :)

    ReplyDelete