Thursday, February 24, 2011

Another Food Challenge

For all of you riddle-solvers out there who just didn't get enough mental work-out with Ben's last blog post, Steve and I have been working on our own food challenge for you to solve. We've been processing this one for a while, and finally have enough details worked out to be able to share it with you. If the puzzle is still unsolved after a week, we'll add more details (following Ben's lead). So, here goes....

A king and queen decided to give a banquet, because they greatly enjoy being hospitable and sharing their time and resources with others. Their "super chef" was given free reign over menu planning and also determining when to hold the banquet and the theme of the party. They (the king and queen) just needed to show up when directed.

The "super chef" provided the royal couple with a multi-course menu plan. It was as follows:
1st Course: lasagna and yogurt
2nd Course: toasted bagel sandwiches with cheddar cheese and fresh tomatoes, seasoned with salt and freshly ground pepper
3rd Course: cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise and dill pickle slices
4th Course: fried chicken, cole slaw, baked beans, homestyle macaroni & cheese and biscuits and gravy

The king and queen have been notified of the theme of the party and it's timing. Your challenge is to determine what specific occasion this menu would be appropriate for. The royal couple will assess the results and (after the correct response has been given) provide more details regarding the timing of the event.

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, good challenge. I'm going to be thinking about this one for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a menu an elementary school class might plan for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! How come no one is tackling this one? Sure would help if someone else added their "2 ¢ worth" to help bring out some clues, or eliminate others. This is a stumper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate you two trying to plan out the menu for my wedding, but I think I'm going to stick with a more traditional menu : )
    I don't have a clue! i can't get past the lasagna and yogurt (it reminds me of the days in elementary school when we had bread sticks and yogurt for lunch)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm kind of new to this but I think this is a baby announcement. Ella is the lasagna and yogurt eater, Elisabeth is the Bagel sandwich eater, Peter is the Cheese sandwich and pickle (yuk) eater and the next baby is going to be a lover of fried chicken, coleslaw, baked beans, biscuits and gravy, etc. I think he will be named Sanders, in honor of Col. Sanders and the above mentioned food of course. That really wasn't that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But why would the 4th baby get so much more (and better) food than the others? This is favoritism the likes of which I haven't seen since the days of Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...me thinks me hears a bit of resentment toward the "baby" of the family:) He demanded to be favored, from all of us! We're all responsible for that boy. Besides, he's Jesus' little lamb:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember the kids eating anything like that, when they were here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Mike has gotten the riddle mostly correct...this is indeed a baby announcement. However, the foods do NOT correspond at all to what the children actually like to eat (I think if you asked any of them, they'd say they want French Fries!!!! very emphatically). The menu courses correspond to the queens cravings during each of the subsequent pregnancies...and the king is greatly relieved to be in this 4th course, since we're eating much "nicer" food. :) (He was not forced to eat the foods that the queen craved during earlier pregnancies....he had much more "normal" food).

    So, here's the "dish" on the new addition (baby, not house, which is also in the works)...it should arrive in very early August, we won't be finding out if it's a boy or a girl before it comes (so don't ask), and we also won't be divulging any of our name choice. The kids (or mostly the girls) are ecstatic, and eagerly looking forward to another one joining this household, though they might not be reckoning in the fact that our house still only has one bathroom that they all have to share which causes much consternation currently (a big reason we're looking to add some house space before baby arrives).

    So there you have it, folks. Another food challenge solved. And if anyone wants to send us some fresh fried chicken, homestyle mac & cheese, baked beans or biscuits and gravy....we're ready to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!! I was only off a little. If it is a boy, I do think Sanders is a good name, just made it up too, so there won't be much competition for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!! More babies! I hope there's a KFC close to your house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, these food riddles do seem to get a lot of comments.

    Way to go, dad. Though I thought you would pick up it a little sooner because of the lasagna and yogurt Rachel asked you to stock up on when we were on our way to Muskegon for Christmas and pregnant with Ella.

    I think Sanders is a fine name, though I have been sworn to secrecy on the names we've discussed so I can't say if it's in the running.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurray!!! It all makes so much sense now! Congrats on number four. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I can say is, "It takes one to know one!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aha!! Man, I wasn't even close to guessing this one. I had some medieval court-related banquet in mind and was trying to think if it was English royalty or Italian royalty that would request such a feast. Now I know it's a feast of a different sort.

    Congratulations, Steve and Rachel. I'm sure Sanders (which I think can work for a boy or girl, even though I know you're not soliciting for name recommendations) will appreciate the Southern cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woah...I just found out about this. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete