Monday, February 7, 2011

Don't judge a dish by its appearance (unless you're a judge on a cooking show, then by all means, judge away)

Well, thank you Ben for making me feel more confused than usual last week. I think this proves that I need to solve more riddles so I can be in good mental shape when another one comes my way.

Last week when I was snowed in during the winter blizzard of 2011, it seemed like the perfect time to try out a new recipe. I leafed through my Cuisine at Home Magazine and was immediately drawn to the Pork and Mushroom Stew because:

A) It's winter and that's when you eat stew
B) There was a pretty picture next to the recipe


Thanks to David, I had state of the art cookware to use : ) Browning the pork

"Ooooo, Lisa! Please put us in the pot so we can be Pork and Mushroom Stew!"


Although this finished product may bear a striking resemblance to dog poop sauce, I assure you it tasted amazing. I followed the recipe's suggestion and made apple-potato mash; boiling a granny smith apple with the potatoes and mashing it all together. It was surprisingly good! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go check my koolaid brussel sprouts.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, does that look tasty! Good job, Lisa. I'm interested in the apple-potato mash. Sounds rather interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good, Lisa. I'm not sure I've ever had a pork stew. I figured you had to use red meat. Is that a side dish lurking in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  3. RECIPE PLEASE!! Actually I am not patient enough to see if you end up posting the recipe, so I'm just going to look it up and hope it's the same one. If not, you can expect to find me on your doorstep in approximately 7.3 hours (the amount of time it will take me to look up the recipe, make it, deliberate over whether it was the same recipe you made, and drive to Caro) with a plate and fork in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janell- let me get this straight. You're going to make the recipe and then drive it all the way over to me in Caro so that I can eat it with you? Sounds like a good plan to me! Haha, here's a link to the recipe: http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/2010/09/pork-and-mushroom-stew.html

    Steve- that's a lowly salad sulking in the background, upset because I chose to feature the pork and mushroom stew instead of the salad

    ReplyDelete