Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I have a confession to make...

In a family where it seems that everyone is a gourmet chef, I have always felt slightly like the odd one out.  Occasionally I enjoy trying out a new recipe or making a special dessert,  but for the most part I'm just tired and hungry when I come home and I would rather eat something quick and easy.  So this is my confession; I don't really like to cook. (Gasp! The horror!)  I do cook, mostly for Karl's sake because otherwise I think he would eat chips and cheese every night.

BUT!

I have recently discovered that I have a different passion.  I enjoy sewing!  Mom gave me Great-Grandma Springer's sewing machine last year, and not knowing how to use it, I decided to take some sewing classes.  I've learned the basics of sewing and have made several small projects like curtains and pillowcases.  I'm currently working on my first quilt, and so far I have pieced two squares together.


I always assumed that quilting was difficult and for experienced sewers only, but it turns out that the work mostly involves being tedious and precise, which are two skills that I excell at : )  I think this quilt is going to be extra special because some of the fabric I'm using came from Great-Grandma Springer.  Any other crafting projects going on out there?

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Lisa, I'm so pleased! What a neat tribute to my Mom's Mom! Look forward to seeing the finished product, eventually:) Thank you for sharing your new "love" with us! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great so far, Lisa. Keep up the good work! I like the patterns and fabric. Which fabric is from Great-Grandma Springer?

    The girls have been getting crafty lately. They're learning how to use the little Janome Mom gave them for Christmas. They have also started cross-stitching.

    Lisa, you could bridge the culinary divide by quilting some place-mats or napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I recognize the smaller print material, in the second square, as some of my Grandma's old material. Is that correct, Lisa?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not yet, these are all fabrics that I bought. I'll post another picture when I use some of her fabric

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these squares! That's really amazing Lisa. :) Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, either kill and dismember an animal, bake a cake, or forge some candlesticks. Otherwise, you have no place on this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. j/k, of course. Those quilt squares look very cool, and certainly fit within the spirit of the blog. Continue being crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Janell! I thought of you when I was picking out the fabrics : ) And Ben, I wish you had made your second comment sooner. If it weren't for that one minute delay, my cats would still be living.

    ReplyDelete