Monday, November 12, 2012

Salsa verde: un gran éxito!

I've been making fresh salsa for a couple months now.  Between Karl's love of all Mexican food and my desire to use appliances that we received as wedding presents, it has been the perfect cooking adventure.  I've gotten pretty close to perfecting regular fresh salsa the way we like it (a little bit of heat, sweet onion taste, and LOTS of cilantro), so I decided to try something new.  Behold, I give you, SALSA VERDE!

You begin by removing the husks from the tomatillos.  This is my favorite part making this salsa because if you pull with just the right amount of force, the entire husk and the stem satisfactorily pop off the tomatillo.

You have to rinse the tomatillos because they are really sticky.  Then they get cut in half, placed on a baking sheet, and are broiled for about 6 minutes.



Next, combine the roasted tomatillos, onion, cilantro, garlic, jalepeno peppers, lime juice, and salt and pepper into a food processor and voila!  You have salsa verde!  


And no, I didn't cut myself and bleed into the jars on the right and left.  I made a batch of regular salsa while I had all the kitchen toys out.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the salsa from disappearing so fast. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Lisa. That looks good! We made some salsa earlier this year with our bumper green tomato crop - it's sort of a salsa verde, but without tomatillos. Roasting the tomatillos must give them a really good flavor.

    If you want, I'll investigate the matter of the dissapearing salsa. Just send me a jar and I'll see if it dissapears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to cast doubt on Steve's investigative skills, but I think I would be a much better detective than he. Please send a jar (or 5) immediately and I will be happy to look into the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty impressive, Lisa. But I missed the step where you talk about how to make tomatillos. I'm filing this blog post under "half-finished" due to the oversight. I will patiently await your correction-update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's no mystery how you make tomatillos. You buy unripe tomatoes and wrap them in husks.

    ReplyDelete