Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Simplest Corn Pudding

There's been a dearth of posts on these blogs as of late, though I have heard legends about a heaping mound of sausages and gallons of Kool-Aid that were consumed at the McCann clan in a matter of seconds. Would that we could have seen some photos of that carnage...

Well, it's hot and it's not the time of year where I usually try out new recipes. But I just stumbled across a recipe for "Simplest Corn Pudding," and I think I may be a sucker for anything with "simplest" in the title. True to its name, this one is incredibly easy to make, absolutely delicious, and a great way to get through a huge pile of fresh sweet corn (if you find yourself facing such a problem).

I found the recipe on nytimes.com, and you can find the full write-up here. But if you want just the recipe, here it is:

Ingredients
  • 8 ears of corn, husked
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • Salt
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Half a lime.
Method
  • 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • 2. Place a box grater on a medium cast-iron pan, and finely grate each ear of corn directly into the pan. Discard the cobs.
  • 3. Spread the milky corn evenly across the pan, and bake until the edges and top are golden brown and the corn milk has thickened, 20 to 30 minutes.
  • 4. Remove from heat, and transfer corn and any liquid to a bowl. Add butter, and season to taste with salt, cayenne pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice. Mix well.

And here are some delicious photos.



4 comments:

  1. Umm! Looks and sounds good, Ben; a meal all by itself, and something Grandma Barnhart would have made. I like the looks of that nice kitchen, too! I agree about the dearth of posts, though I'm as guilty as any. Really enjoy when someone posts to either blog. Seems fitting, on the eve of Andy's 31st birthday, that he post to the blog about the heaping mound of sausages and gallons of KoolAid. We need to hear about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that could be better about this corn pudding is if you had been wearing a frilly yellow and white apron while making it. would you like to move in with Karl and I and be our live-in cook?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good, Ben. We'll have to try it in a couple months when corn is in season. I can't believe it's so simple, really.

    So how did it taste?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone. It was delicious. Amazing how sweet it can be without any added sugar. I guess that's why they use high-fructose corn syrup.

    I recommend the recipe highly, though it's a little messy grating the corn off the ears. That's a good outdoors job.

    And, yes, Lisa, I'd be happy to be your live-in cook. Just as long as you don't make me live in the storage space under the stairs.

    ReplyDelete