Monday, June 21, 2010

Pizza Perfect

Well, it's time for the monthly gastronomic grub gala and this time it's just a little pizza to get your appetite worked up. A little pizza and a big pizza pan, that is. On our road trip down south earlier this year, we stopped at the Lodge factory store and picked up...yes... a Cast Iron pizza pan. As you see in the picture it isn't the biggest pan they make, but it's big enough.


I've been trying different methods with the pan and this one was one of my favorites. I preheat the pan and make up the pizza on a peel dusted with cornmeal. Then I slide the pizza onto the hot, freshly greased cast iron and pop the sizzling pie into the oven until its pepperonis are piping hot. The photo almost speaks for itself, but not quite.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that pizza looks pretty good. Are you letting the dough rise for 72 hours (like the artisinal pizza pie makers in Italy)? Does the cast iron produce a pretty crispy crust? And how hot do you bake it at? Oh, and can I have another slice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dough raises for between zero and 48 hours, depending on how hungry we are. For longer raises, we keep it in the fridge. The cast iron does produce a nice crisp crust, though I haven't tried my hand at thin-crust yet. Baking is usually around 450 Fahrenheit, again depending on how hungry we are.

    ReplyDelete