Monday, February 24, 2014

Almond Butter

This is going to be a really boring post. Only a couple pictures (and not even of the final product) and a few sentences masquerading as a recipe. BUT, the end result is so good that I think you should read it anyway. And then go make some almond butter. (You do need a food processor to do this, so if you don't have one you should probably come visit me and use mine. While you watch the kids and I take a nap.)

So here's the "recipe" - pour some unsalted almonds (I used raw but next time plan to roast them for a bit to see which way I prefer) into the bowl of a food processor. Turn it on. Wait for longer than you think necessary (about 10 minutes maybe), scraping down the bowl every few minutes. Just when you think it's going to be too dry and clumpy and you must have used bad almonds or you may even need a new food processor, all the oils will release and you will have almond butter. If you like you can add a little brown sugar or honey once the nuts are ground (see second photo) but before it actually turns into butter, and last time I also added cinnamon which I've really enjoyed.






I've been eating it on bagels, apples, pretzels, spoons...I'm guessing roughly 10% of my current body weight is thanks to almond butter.

7 comments:

  1. Inasmuch as I don't have a food processor, I guess I'll have to come visit you to experience this, obviously, irresistable treat (while I watch the kids and you take a nap!) :) Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so fast, Mom. We have a food processor, too. And almonds (and kids who don't nap).

    Mmmmm! I like boring posts, Janell. But I think you'll find it comes together faster if you roast the almonds a bit first. I'm planning to try it out. Hopefully it will be better than my last attempt at peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your food processor looks a lot like ours, Janell. How do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not crazy about mine. It seems to perform ok most of the time, but it's next to impossible to clean all the little cracks and crevices in the lid, and I've also had issues with liquids seeping out. You guys have any of those issues? I also used it make superfine sugar once and that was sort of a disaster. It left a fine powder over a 3-4 foot radius from the processor. Not sure if I have unrealistic expectations or if it's just a bit of a lemon.

      Delete
    2. I like ours quite a bit, but I have had problems with seepage - I think it's a common complaint with that bowl since it doesn't have a seal. I love the quite, smooth motor, though. It is sort of hard to clean the lid, but we usually just throw it in the dishwasher. Our handle cracked at the top so I was going to get a new bowl, but I ended up fixing it instead. We've processed a lot of veggies, hummus, and pumpkin with it - all around a good experience.

      Delete
  4. I looked at our bag of almonds today. One step closer to almond butter bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at them hard enough (possibly the way you looked at me when I took your chair while you were out of the room) it's quite likely they'll just jump into the processor bowl all by themselves.

      Delete