Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Apple green-chili pie

I'm not sure how we got a post on this blog about hypothetical cupcakes, but I'd like to bring us back to the world of actual food with a post about an apple pie that I made for Thanksgiving. It's a twist on the traditional apple pie—this one has shredded cheddar cheese in the crust and roasted green chilies mixed in with the filling. I found the recipe here, and I was mostly happy with the way it turned out.

Strangely, I couldn't really taste the cheddar cheese in the crust (even though I used a really sharp cheddar), and the green chilies were pretty mild too. Also, the crust turned out pretty tough, which makes me think I overworked it or didn't cut the butter small enough. I could use a pastry blender, I guess. Still, I'll give this one another shot some day.








And here's a traditional apple pie, for people who dislike either cheddar or chili peppers in their pie.

4 comments:

  1. Impressive! If they tasted as good as they look, they must have been delicious! Regarding the crust, it is recommended to handle the dough as little as possible, to create a tender and flakey crust. Not always easy to do, when shaping pie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't quite imagine what green chilis would taste like in an apple pie, but the cheddar cheese sounds good. Perhaps you'll have to make one of these pies when you're home for Christmas so I can try it :)

    ReplyDelete