Friday, March 26, 2010

Sourdough Round

I've been cooking with a sourdough starter that I got from David (that he got from Steve (that Steve got from the air in his house)) for a couple months now, trying my hand at bread, pancakes, and biscuits. I've been pretty disappointed with the bread, though, which turns out dense and pretty flavorless. I guess I'm just too accustomed to FrankenBread from the store.

But I believe a sourdough should be pretty sour and tangy, and also have a lot of air pockets inside. So I was intrigued to try Janell's d0llar-a-day bread recipe. It turned out pretty good, though I'd still like to have more of the sourdough flavor and a few more air pockets in the bread. Maybe I need to let it rise more. (Steve/Rachel, do you have any thoughts here?)

Nothing prettier than a fresh, piping-hot loaf of sourdough bread.

You'll have to imagine the heavenly smell and steam rising from these slices.

All tucked away in its bread bag (thanks, Rachel!) to cool off overnight.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh. It sure looks good, but I agree the center looks a little too uniform.

    I think you should consult the Free Culinary School podcast, where I originally got the method for the starter last fall. He has some excellent episodes (20 & 21) on making artisan bread with sourdough using the no-knead method. As far as I can tell, artisan bread has crust and lots of voids in the middle. I haven't tried it, but you can be the test case.

    http://freeculinaryschool.com/category/free-culinary-school-podcast/

    Lots of good stuff there on things like Sauce Velote and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steam rising from the slices...? But don't you know you aren't supposed to cut the loaf until it has fully cooled? Cool off overnight...? I can never resist either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our first starter died (we let the loaves rise overnight...and they were the same size in the morning) so I started another one, and it's been making huge loaves of bread. I'll post on our $1 a day blog. (www.eatforadollar.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete