Saturday, January 3, 2009

And Now for Something Completely Different



A nickel to anyone who knows where this post title comes from. But I don't mean it only as a riddle. I present for you all something not butchered, baked, nor candlestickmade. A long time ago (back before the long winter nights came and sucked all the warmth from the world), I put away several jars of dilly beans. I'd always meant to throw a photo or two up on Barnhart Central. But now that we have the Barnhart Cooking Show online, this seems like the best place to do it.

And for the record, I opened the first jar just a moment ago, and the dilly beans are great. Maybe a touch too salty, but very crisp with a pungent dill bouquet and earthy, jalapeƱo undertones.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a little lost about a couple of comments here, nevertheless the photo is beautiful (as canned goods always are) and glad your dilly beans are better than the sweet ones from Del Monte. It would be interesting, as you suggested, to make some with a hint of sweetness. Had you grown the beans, and is that red pepper in the jars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right-o, Janell. Your nickel's in the mail. Postage due on delivery, of course. So that "free" nickel just cost you 42 cents.

    Yes, Mom, these are a good bit better than the Del Monte Dilly Beans, though I'm looking forward to trying a slightly sweet variety this next summer. Sadly, these are run-of-the-mill green beans, as I didn't get any bean plants in the ground this summer. Next year, though, I hope to be canning my own homegrown dilly beans. And, yes, that's a red bell pepper in the jar. When David was showing me how to pickle green beans he'd throw a slice of red bell pepper in there for color. It's also pretty tasty after it's been pickled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy. Monty Python. Duh. Where's me nickel?! Can I just have a quarter to remember you by?

    ReplyDelete